Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Peachy Frozen Yogurt



I have a bit of an obsession with my mom's Cuisinart Ice Cream Makers. She has two of them, because one isn't enough. She is just around the corner for me, so it's convenient to borrow it every now and then, but when we move...I will be getting one. I promise. Because they are AMAzing.


My mom's are white, but I am dreaming about this little turquoise one. Isn't it cute? Cant you just picture it on my counter? I can. And I do. No ice, no salt, and usually no extras which means i'm not eating a gallon of leftover ice cream by myself. It's wonderful.

So this morning I woke up and realized I still have my mom's maker from the weekend. And when the question of what to have for breakfast came up, hello!!...frozen yogurt makes so much sense! I looked at a recipe or two and decided peach was sounding pretty good. The only sad thing is that peaches aren't in season right now. *sigh* So canned peaches feature in this recipe, and while they can't hold a candle to fresh peaches, they still got the job done. The measurements aren't exact, but it will get you close. And don't be afraid to play around with flavors! Next time I kinda want to throw in some pineapple or something. Yum!

You will need some vanilla, sugar, greek yogurt and a 15oz can of peaches.


First, drain the peaches. They don't have to be perfectly drained...I didn't even use a strainer because I hate dirtying dishes if I can avoid it. I'm sure none of you can relate to that...

Next, put your peaches in a food processor and hack them up real good. I like to keep some little chunks, though so it's not a complete puree.



...see? Little chunkies.


Next, put about 2 cups of the greek yogurt in a bowl. If you havent used this brand, run out of your house and get some right now. HURRY! It's my favorite. Chobani, shmobani. Okay, I do like Chobani. But this stuff is better because it's made by Greek Gods and cherubs.


Also, add about 2-3 Tablespoons of sugar (depending on how unhealthy, I mean sweet, you want it), 2 teaspoons of vanilla and your chopped peaches.



After I mixed all this together, I decided to add 1 Tablespoon of honey. You don't have to do the honey, it just sounded yummy to me. Make sure you melt it for about 10 seconds in the microwave so it incorporates into the yogurt and doesn't clump up.



After you mix that all up, throw it in the maker and freeze it until it thickens. I like to cover the top of mine (or my mom's, rather) with a cloth. That way, no toys can get thrown into the unsuspecting yogurt...or gelato...or ice cream...or whatever i'm making. I also think it helps it freeeeeeeeeeze faster. But that may be untrue. :(



And then, eat it right out of the container.


Or put it in a pretty ramkin, on a dishtowel with the only fancy-looking spoon you have hanging around and snap some pictures for your new blog. I really need to get some cute utensils and measuring cups...


Here is my raggedy "printable" that I made in allrecipes. I'll have Matt show me how to create a real one for the future. :)


Peachy FroYo



Ingredients

  • 1 15oz. can peaches
  • 2 c. plain greek yogurt
  • 2-3 T. sugar
  • 2 t. vanilla
  • 1 T. honey (optional)

Directions

  1. -Chop peaches in food processor until you've reached desired chunkiness. Combine peaches with yogurt, sugar and vanilla.
  2. -Warm honey in the microwave 8-10 seconds and add to the peach mixture until well incorporated.
  3. -Freeze in an ice-cream maker until thick and delectable.




No comments:

Post a Comment