I can't really remember where the original version of this recipe came from...probably somewhere on google. All I know is that it's Yummmmmmy!!!! Anyways, here are the step-by-steppers:
Whisk together 1/2c. flour, 1T. sugar, a pinch of salt and 1/2t. baking soda.
Let the batter sit for 20-30 mins at room temperature It will thicken significantly over this time, but should still be pretty runny and pourable. Is pourable a word? I guess so, since spell check didn't kick in.
Preheat your oven to 425*F. Coat your pan with LOTS of butter before turning on the heat. (sorry, there's not a picture for this step). I just take the stick and rub it all over the bottom AND sides of the pan super well. Combine some cinnamon, nutmeg and sugar. Sprinkle it liberally all over the pan. Add 1 whole sliced apple (peeled or unpeeled is up to you). You want to try to get the slices to lie as flat on the pan as possible. Sprinkle more of the sugar mixture over the apples.
GENTLY pour your batter over the apples. If you pour the batter too fast, all the apples will float to one side. You want them to stay evenly distributed here.
Use an oven mit to transfer the pan into your oven. That handle gets hotsy totsy!! Bake about 10-15 mins at 425*F. Then reduce the heat to 375*F and bake another 10 mins or so. We were hungry and anxious to eat, so I pulled this out about 5 mins early. It was still totally cooked, just not as golden on top as usual.
Slice and top with powdered sugar and Creme Fraiche (or whipped cream if you're lazy like me.)
Or cut them into little bite-sized pieces for your minions. :)
Happy Father's Day!!!
German Apple Pancakes
1/2 c. flour
1 T. sugar + more for sprinkling
1/2 t. baking soda
pinch of salt
4 large eggs, whipped
1 c. milk
1 t. vanilla
2 T. butter, melted + more for coating
1 apple of any kind, sliced
cinnamon & nutmeg
Creme Fraiche (or whipped cream)
1. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda & salt. Add eggs, milk, vanilla, melted butter, cinnamon and nutmeg. Let stand at room temperature 20-30 mins.
2. Preheat your oven to 425*F. Coat a cast iron pan with butter. Combine sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg and sprinkle the pan liberally. Line your pan with sliced apples and sprinkle the apples with more sugar mixture.
3. Cook apples, covered, on medium heat until apples bubble and caramelize. Add more butter if needed. Once the apples are mostly tender, pour batter very gently over the apples.
4. Put the pan in the oven and bake about 15 mins at 425*F. Reduce heat to 375*F and bake an additional 10 mins.
5. Slice and top with powdered sugar and Creme Fraiche or whipped cream.